Wednesday, September 18, 2013

In Youth Is Pleasure by Denton Welch (1945)

Sort of Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume, only written in 1945 and about English people. With masturbation but without watching a girl next door through the window take off her clothes.  Well, I'm stretching this a bit, but I have to find some hook to write about this weird novella with completely unlikable characters.  And where nothing really happens.  At all.  All painstakingly and really quite beautifully described.  There was that at least, which kept me reading.There is another half of this book, a different story, called I Left My Grandfather's House, but I myself left the book after the first story because I had had it.

I don't remember why I wanted to read this in the first place.  Denton Welch was very cute though.  And gay.

In Youth is Pleasure & I Left My Grandfather's HouseIn Youth is Pleasure & I Left My Grandfather's House by Denton Welch
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I think I must be too dense for this book.  It was beautifully written, but nothing really ever happened.  Which makes me sound like a complete idiot - but if there was a plot, I couldn't find one.  A non-traditional plot structure, but whatever.  I didn't actually read the second story in the book - I had it after the first.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers