Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Most Remarkable Fella: Frank Loesser and the Guys and Dolls in His Life: A Portrait by His Daughter Susan Loesser (1993)

Methinks Susan Loesser was cashing in on the success of the successful last Broadway revival of Guys and Dolls.

For such a long title, this book was remarkable only for it's piss poored-ness.  This would have made a far better documentary, I think.  Now that I would like to see.  It's not that Susan Loesser is a bad writer.  And she has great source material.  But I'm not really sure we learned much new about Frank Loesser and why he ticked.  It's clear (and sad) that Susan Loesser doesn't know herself what made her father tick.

I'm such a hater of memoirs - I'm a bad judge of them.  I'd rather read a biography like William Manchester's biography of Winston Churchill that subtle injects the author, and explores the demons and angels of the subject.

I did learn a few new things about Frank Loesser.  Mainly, that he he sounds like a complete and utter douchebag.  Wow, what a jerk.

Also, the whole story about him slapping Isabel Bigley, the original Sarah Brown in Guys and Dolls at rehearsal because she wasn't singing something right, proves that he was a dickhead, and is a great Broadway story.

A Most Remarkable Fella: Frank Loesser and the Guys and Dolls in His Life: A Portrait by His DaughterA Most Remarkable Fella: Frank Loesser and the Guys and Dolls in His Life: A Portrait by His Daughter by Susan Loesser
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book has a remarkably long title, for a remarkably meh sort of book.  Susan Loesser isn't a bad writer, but she's not really all that good either.  Methinks she was cashing in on the successful 1992 revival of Guys and Dolls.  What I came away with from the memoir is that Frank Loesser was a remarkable dicksmack - he sounds awful.  Still, the book has some behind the stage Broadway gossip, some of which was new at least to me.  So it wasn't all bad.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Do you ever stop reading a book if it's bad? I guess you read so fast it doesn't matter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they are boring or truly bad, I will stop. If they are just semi-boring, I will skip and skim. I probably skipped and skimmed this one quite a bit, looking for nuggets of goodness hidden inside the dreariness.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers