Monday, October 28, 2013

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World : Volume 2 by Bryan Lee O' Malley (2005)

I'm still intrigued by this graphic novel series; it's interesting and witty.  The friend who suggested it and I had a conversation about how to describe the book's (series's) humor.  He called it "vague" and while I think that describes the plot (s), and meaning of the book (theme?), I'm not sure that captures what I think the humor should be called (although he is an expert on this series, writing a thesis about it, and I know nothing, really).  Deadpan / dry?  Droll?  Flippant (although the definition of flippant has some negative connotations, and I don't consider this humor negative).  Ironic? Hipster humor (yes).  Mordant?  Parks and Recreation on television has similar humor, I think.

It's still difficult to tell the characters apart, but I'm getting better.  Unlike some graphic novels, the graphics - although beautifully rendered - aren't the core of the story.  The writing, which is witty and clever, is the core.

I want to explore this term "vague" as I read more; I called this "hovering" too - there is a theme, action, plot constantly hovering above the story, and then swoops in.  Like a video game, I presume.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World (Scott Pilgrim, #2)Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World by Bryan Lee O'Malley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's hard to review a series of books individually that are tied together.  An interesting, intriguing volume in the six-parter.  Graphically speaking, each panel is almost a little work of art, beautifully eye-catching and engaging.  But this as much or more about story, character and plot as it is about graphics - and the story really pulls you in.  The writing is deadpan, clever, witty; Scott Pilgrim is developing into a charming oaf of a man-boy, seriously crush-worthy. A sold entry in the series.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers