Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Snobs by Julian Fellowes (2004)

A Goodreads friend with similar taste (thanks Nick!) recommended Snobs to me.  In his review on Goodreads, he wrote:  "There's very little NOT to like here."  He was so right!  I sank into this book like a stone almost from the first page.  The characters are sharply drawn, the dialogue is witty and pointed, the plot fun.  This is most definitely a modern comedy of manners.  It's maybe what Jane Austen would be writing if she were writing in the 21st century rather than the 19th.  I sensed a ghost of Forster too, early A Room With A View Forster rather than serious A Passage to India Forster.  The book is about ten years old now, which made me wonder how much of it is still true, but I think the narrator is most likely a stand in for Fellowes, and I think he obviously - from Gosford Park and Downton Abbey knows his stuff.  Great, great fun, without being overtly fluffy.  

SnobsSnobs by Julian Fellowes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It didn't take me too many pages into this book to get sucked into this modern day comedy of manners. The characters are sharply drawn, the dialogue witty and funny, the plot tabloid fodder fun.  I suppose this is the type of book Jane Austen might be writing if she were alive and kicking right now (I wonder if she'd be writing movies and television scripts as well; who knows).  I also tasted a bit of early Forster, A Room with a View Forster - just a bit.  The book is about ten years old now, which made me wonder how much of it is still true, but I think the narrator is most likely a stand in for Fellowes, and I think he obviously - from  Gosford Park and  Downton Abbey knows his stuff.  Great, great fun, without being overtly fluffy.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers