Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wolves by Emily Gravett (2005)

A totally different style from the other Gravett books I recently read - but this one could be my favorite.  Utterly witty in a  meta-way, with cool illustrations.  Every reader has been in this rabbit's situation - completely into what you are reading and oblivious to what is going on around you.  In this case, reading about wolves but not looking around you FOR wolves gets a rabbit eaten at the end.  But there is an alternative purposely cheeseball ending in which the wolf is a vegetarian.  I'm sure there will be those Goodreads moms who decry the violence and say it's too scary for their precious tots - and I say bring on the scary!


WolvesWolves by Emily Gravett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Great fun, particularly for readers who get so lost in books that they become oblivious to everything and everyone around them (I plead guilty to that as well).  The entire book is entertainingly and satisfyingly meta; it's a book within a book, a book featuring a reader that is about reading, a reader reading about wolves being stalked by one on almost every page.  The end is scary - but it should be - it's about wolves!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers