Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas In Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren; illustrated by Ilon Wikland (1963)

Christmas In Noisy Village is quite beautiful, and didn't feel at all 1960s; I thought it was from the 1980's actually.  I guess the illustrations were twenty years ahead of their time!

"Everything is so beautiful and Christmasy that it gives me a stomache-ache," said Anna - a childish, Charlie Brown sentiment that rings so true.  

No sign of Pippi Longstocking anywhere in this book.  

This is part of a series - one I've never heard of before.  A Swedish series, obviously, about the children of Noisy Village.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
No Pippi Longstocking to be found here (perhaps she's hiding out in the barn); just a children of a little Swedish village celebrating a beautiful, nostalgic, and sweet holiday.  "Everything is so beautiful and Christmasy that it gives me a stomach-ache," said Anna.  A sentiment that most of us can agree with whole-heartedly.  Reminded me much of Shirley Hughes.  I don't think you can close this book without thinking fondly of your own childhood Christmas memories.  "Oh, isn't Christmas a jolly time?" the book ends.  "I wish it could come oftener, don't you?"  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers