Monday, December 23, 2013

The Mole Family's Christmas by Russell Hoban; illustrated by Lillian Hoban (1969)

Written before Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, The Mole Family's Christmas wasn't nearly as charming or moving.  It was kind of disjointed, with a world that didn't wholly make sense.  I can think of three worlds with talking forest animals where the world building was more clear cut - Thornton Burgess, Jan Wahl's Pleasant Fieldmouse, and especially Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson.  This book doesn't even come close to those three, which is a pity  - this could have been quite good.  It wasn't bad, just not very interesting.  I was reminded a bit of how the immigrant experience of American Christmas must be though.


The Mole Family's ChristmasThe Mole Family's Christmas by Russell Hoban
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Not anywhere as charming as Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas; which I would recommend over this one.  Not going to stuffing any stockings at my house.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers