Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism by Doris Kearns Goodwin (2013)

I'm about 80% finished with this book, but I'm letting it go.  It started out so well too, but it just bogged down, and by the point where I stopped, I just wasn't caring about enough anymore to want to finish the whole thing.  Something was missing.  The connective tissue of "the golden age of journalism" while true, seemed to lose its connectivity at times and seemed more like a prop than an actual tool to further the narrative.

D.K.G. has been everywhere in the last few months, promoting this book.  I realize she's a great interviewee, and incredibly knowledgeable, and practically beloved.  But I wonder if her peddling of the book was simply because it's not as good as her previous books, and needed the help of her star power to keep the momentum going.

I wonder if they will make a movie of this one, and if so, who will play Theodore Roosevelt?  And better yet, what actor is fat enough to play Taft?  Probably will have a skinny Taft.

The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of JournalismThe Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism by Doris Kearns Goodwin
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

About half-way through, my eagerness to read the book turned to one of excitement.  I plodded along until I was almost finished then gave it up for something more interesting.  Such a shame too, because I love Theodore Roosevelt and also usually love DKG.  The only thing that kept me going was trying to figure out what actor would gain enough to weight to play Taft in the movie.


View all my reviews




"When Theodore Roosevelt wanted to run for mayor of New York City, his wife Edith basically wouldn't let him. Both he and she regretted this decision for the rest of their lives. I hope my Edith Roosevelt moments have been few and far between regarding my marriage."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/12/wait-for-the-movie-version-of-doris-kearns-goodwin-s-the-bully-pulpit.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers