Monday, February 10, 2014

Midwinter Blood by Marcus Sedgwick (2013)

Someone needs to explain the appeal of this book to me, because I just didn't get it.  It's not poorly written - more simply written.  It's written for teens, but I wasn't quite sure why it was written for teens.  Why wasn't it just published as an adult book?  Because it was too simple?  I get it, its about reincarnation - but why?  What's the point?  I did keep on reading it, because I wanted to see if there was some grand moment of philosophy or science fiction or fantasy or something at the end that tied everything together.  There was not.  Another one of those books that I feel like I supposed to like - it's an award winner, for Christ's sake - but don't really understand, and end up feeling stupider than I did after picking it up.  If this was supposed to be deep, it was too deep for me.  Maybe I was trying to read too much into it - but there was absolutely no take away for me here.

MidwinterbloodMidwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I completely didn't understand the point of this book.  If there even was one.  It's too deep for me.  Who exactly is the audience for this book?  Perhaps because it's written for young adults, you have to be a young adult, or nearer to young adult age, to get this book.  I no longer fit into either of those categories, so I'm left out.  It's about reincarnation and love and sacrifice - so what?  Too many strange loose ends for my taste.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers