Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Pig Parade Is A Terrible Idea by Michael Ian Black; illustrated by Kevin Hawkes (2010)

A pig parade may be a terrible idea, but this was anything but a terrible book.  Witty, delightfully deadpan, with wonderfully funny turns of phrase.  This type of humor isn't for everyone, and I'm sure when I turn to Goodreads more than one reviewer either will hate it (or suck the fun out of it).  But I loved it.  I'm not sure if I'd read it aloud -the humor may be too subtle. But I think when I was 10 years old I would have totally got this, and I totally get it now.

My favorite thing about the book, hands down, is that while the pigs are cartoon pigs on the first few pages, they turn into real pigs, doing real pig things.  And the twisted ending with the pandas - marvelous!

Goodreads Grinches:

Robert thought the book was "dismal and unfunny... not at all spectacular. Worst of all, the story lacks any justification for itself and fails in every respect."  Bah, humbug Mr. Picture Book Scrooge.  You clearly have no sense of humor whatsoever.  And are pedantic to boot.  Fuck you.  

Ashley "was not impressed with this book. It was silly and didn't make sense. Would be great to read to younger students but has no educational value."  Ashely, you are a fuckwit.  Literally - apparently all wit has been fucked right out of you.  Because a book has no educational value, it automatically is silly.  And I thought this would be hideous to read to younger children; their senses of humor aren't fine-tuned enough.  Clearly yours isn't either.


A Pig Parade Is a Terrible IdeaA Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea by Michael Ian Black
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A pig parade may be a terrible idea, but this book was as far away from terrible as you can get.  Witty, dead pan humor combined with Kevin Hawkes's absurdly realistic pig pictures to create a perfect little model of humor.  I dare you not to laugh out loud at least once.  


View all my reviews
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers