A pig parade may be a terrible idea, but this was anything but a terrible book. Witty, delightfully deadpan, with wonderfully funny turns of phrase. This type of humor isn't for everyone, and I'm sure when I turn to Goodreads more than one reviewer either will hate it (or suck the fun out of it). But I loved it. I'm not sure if I'd read it aloud -the humor may be too subtle. But I think when I was 10 years old I would have totally got this, and I totally get it now.
My favorite thing about the book, hands down, is that while the pigs are cartoon pigs on the first few pages, they turn into real pigs, doing real pig things. And the twisted ending with the pandas - marvelous!
Robert thought the book was "dismal and unfunny... not at all spectacular. Worst of all, the story lacks any justification for itself and fails in every respect." Bah, humbug Mr. Picture Book Scrooge. You clearly have no sense of humor whatsoever. And are pedantic to boot. Fuck you.
Ashley "was not impressed with this book. It was silly and didn't make sense. Would be great to read to younger students but has no educational value." Ashely, you are a fuckwit. Literally - apparently all wit has been fucked right out of you. Because a book has no educational value, it automatically is silly. And I thought this would be hideous to read to younger children; their senses of humor aren't fine-tuned enough. Clearly yours isn't either.
A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea by Michael Ian Black
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
A pig parade may be a terrible idea, but this book was as far away from terrible as you can get. Witty, dead pan humor combined with Kevin Hawkes's absurdly realistic pig pictures to create a perfect little model of humor. I dare you not to laugh out loud at least once.
View all my reviews
Thursday, April 24, 2014
- ► 2017 (69)
- ► 2016 (133)
- ► 2015 (113)
- Manqué & Anodyne
- The Steadfast Tin Soldier retold by Cynthia Rylant...
- White Snow Bright Snow by Alvin Tresselt; illustra...
- Boot & Shoe by Marla Frazee (2012)
- Grandpa Green by Lane Smith (2011)
- A Pig Parade Is A Terrible Idea by Michael Ian Bla...
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (2011)
- The Time Traveler's Guide to Elizabethan England b...
- Libraries: Cathedrals of Our Souls by Caitlin Mora...
- The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Lovi...
- Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne; decorations by Erne...
- Oh No, George! by Chris Haughton (2012)
- Little Lost Owl by Chris Haughton (2009)
- All the Small Poems by Valerie Worth (1987)
- Tillie Lays an Egg by Terry Golson; with photograp...
- Ollie by Olivier Dunrea (2003)
- Except If by Jim Averbeck (2011)
- Peep! A Little Book about Taking a Leap by Maria V...
- A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki (2013)
- The Three Billy Goats Gruff by Paul Galdone (1973)...
- This Moose Belongs to Me by Oliver Jeffers (2012)
- The Year 1000: What Life Was Like At the Turn of t...
- ▼ April (22)
- ► 2013 (219)
- ► 2012 (175)
- ► 2011 (166)
- ► 2010 (126)