Monday, April 7, 2014

Except If by Jim Averbeck (2011)

Loved this picture book.  It's short and cute.  It has the same sort of narrative If You Give A Mouse A Cookie (I guess this is called a "circular plot").    This is a definition of a circular plot that I liked:  "A character would go through the entire journey of resolving the dramatic question only to end up right back where they started, with nothing solved."  Except (ha ha) in Except If there is something solved (the egg is actually a baby bird at the end).

I liked the illustrations in this one too.  They were simple without being doodles or scribbles (unlike the book I read and hated before this one); bright and large and colorful.  Perfect for reading aloud.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
An easy, fun read-aloud with big, bright pictures and a cute, humorous (but not cloyingly so) circular plot.  Anything with a big pink(ish) dinosaur is tops in my book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers