Friday, April 11, 2014

Little Lost Owl by Chris Haughton (2009)

Essentially, this is the same story as My Mother is the Most Beautiful Woman in the World , or at least it feels that way.  I don't have that older book (by Becky Reyner) to reference, but I remember reading it.  Since in today's polite society, we aren't really supposed to point out how ugly people are (which is sort of what My Mother is the Most Beautiful Woman in the World does at the end), I think this is a nice, equally humorous, sort of parable substitute.  The pictures are retro-modern - this could equally be at home in the children's library down the street from Mad Men as well as in the private literary stock of a hipster dad.  Anything with a sassy squirrel in it, particularly one that looks like Wile E. Coyote in squirrel drag, is okay in my book.  Oh yeah, and owls are cool too, always cool.  Three hoots at least!

I know, I just know, when I go to review this on Goodreads, there will be plenty of pablum about how this can teach children what to do when they get lost and blah blah blah...  and there may be even be some bullshit about stranger danger thrown in for good measure.  I haven't yet looked.. I'm a little afraid too...

I looked.  I was pleasantly surprised, but did find at least one pedantic school teachery review.  Fuck that person, but otherwise everyone else either got it (or detested the book).







Little Owl LostLittle Owl Lost by Chris Haughton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

You should give a hoot about this one.  Although you may have heard a similar story before My Mother is the Most Beautiful Woman in the World, this is a nice update.  It's a humorous parable, and you can take the discussion with whoever you are reading this with or to as far as you want.  I love the modern retro illustrations.  This book could be equally at home on the shelves of the children's section of the public library down the street from Mad Men or in the private literary stock of a hipster dad.  The squirrel is great, and looks some sort of The Island of Dr. Moreau cross between Rocky (of Bullwinkle) and Wile E. Coyote.  This wise old owl says yes.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers