Monday, April 14, 2014

Oh No, George! by Chris Haughton (2012)

I think this humorously and charmingly characterizes what it's like to own a dog.  Haughton's illustrations, which are quite nontraditional and modern, really do the trick, particularly in depicting the dog George's eyes (the surprised cat is also funny).  There is also an "awwww" moment  as well, which I said audibly while silently reading the book.

I think this would also make a really cute read aloud.

I do have a quibble about Chris Haughton.  The first book I read by him, Little Lost Owl," was almost derivative of several books, including Are You My Mother? and My Mother is the Most Beautiful in the World.  Now we've got Oh No, George!, which is remarkably similar to Bark, George! by Jules Feiffer.  Both dogs named George, both with exclamations  ("Oh no, George!" verses "Bark, George!"  Obviously the stories aren't exactly the same, but there are enough similarities to cause me to go"Hmmmmm...."

Still, Oh No, George! is sweet and fun.

Oh No, George!Oh No, George! by Chris Haughton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Charmingly and humorously characterizes what its like to have a dog in your life.  Haughton's story is sweetly funny, and the illustrations do the trick in capturing the dog George, particularly the eyes.  There was an audible "awwwww" moment for me at one point.  This definitely has interactive read-aloud-ability. Although I will quibble a bit - this was almost but not quite like Bark, George, enough to make me go "hmmmmmm..."  I don't think that detracted from the book's charm necessarily, but if I were Jules Feiffer I would be wonderin'...


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers