Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (2011)

If you are going to write a book set in the late 19th/early 20th century, then write it so we feel like we are there.  Drop us  down in the middle of the late Victorian as if we are dressed in bloomers and shirtwaists and straw boaters and spats.  That's my main beef about The Night Circus.  It's not the story (as snaky and convoluted as it's been) - it's the fact that Morgenstern's Victorian setting feels like painted cardboard trees and flowers at the back of a high school stage.  Nothing feels authentic.  It's frustrating and more than a little annoying.

That's enough said about this book, other than a  good friend gave it to me, and I was supposed to read it and then discuss it with her and NOW I CAN'T because I didn't like the book enough to finish it.  I even gave it well over my 50 page rule - I stopped on page 154.

The Night CircusThe Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


If you are going to write a book set in the late 19th/early 20th century, then write it so we feel like we are there.  Drop us down in the middle of the late Victorian as if we are dressed in bloomers and shirtwaists and straw boaters and spats.  That's my main beef about The Night Circus.  It's not the story (as snaky and convoluted as it's been) - it's the fact that Morgenstern's Victorian setting feels like painted cardboard trees and flowers at the back of a high school play.  Nothing feels authentic.  It was frustrating and annoying and took away from my enjoyment of the book.  I so gave this a game try too - 154 pages worth of excruciatingly game try.  What's embarrassing is that a good friend recommended this, and many of my goodreads friends loved this book.   What's wrong with me? (or what is wrong with you?  Hardy har har).


View all my reviews


I don't feel SO BAD now - some reviewers on Goodreads feel exactly the same way I do, only more so.  They obviously felt compelled to finish the book, which meant they wasted precious reading time on this piece of crap.  I, however, superiorily, did not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers