Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Three Billy Goats Gruff by Paul Galdone (1973)

A stock re-telling of the Asbjørnsen and Moe tale, with Galdone's typical bright pictures - perfect for reading aloud.  I read this to a group of toddler two year olds in a storytime this morning, and I have to say, they were pretty wide-eyed whenever I roared out "Who is that tripping over my bridge."  Kids like being scared though - and it makes them feel good when the biggest billy goat kicks the troll's ass at the end (figuratively and then literally, right into the river).  No pussy-footing around here.

The Three Billy Goats GruffThe Three Billy Goats Gruff by Paul Galdone
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A stock re-telling of the well-known Peter Christen Asbjørnsen and Jørgen Moe tale, with Galdone's large bright, storytime friendly illustrations and easy to read (aloud) text.  Two-year olds will get wide-eyed when you roar in a big badass troll voice "Whose that tripping over my bridge" - but they will also be relieved when the biggest billy goat Gruff butts his butt right off the bridge.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers