Monday, April 21, 2014

The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever by H. Joseph Hopkins ; illustrated by Jill McElmurry (2013)

The Tree Lady was the 2014 Beatty Award winner (honors the author of a distinguished book for children or young adults that best promotes an awareness of California and its people) , so I decided to read it and see what the fuss was all about.  And I liked it!  The illustrations are good - not great, but good and strong.  The narrative is strong too.  It's a simple little nonfiction book, but tells a story I certainly didn't know, and could appreciate having been to San Diego numerous times - I think San Diego is beautiful, and know I know one of the reasons why!

The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City ForeverThe Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever by H. Joseph Hopkins
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Local southern California history.  If you love San Diego (I do) and think it's a beautiful berg (I do), then you'll learn one of the reasons why - this lovely and amazing tree lady Kate Sessions.  Strong and good pictures accompany a simple but solid and engaging narrative.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers