Tuesday, May 27, 2014

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (2001)

American Gods is not my favorite book that I've read by Neil Gaiman, but it's magnificently written nonetheless.  Like all Neil Gaiman books, you fall head over heels into it, like diving into a deep, dark pool, and then have trouble ever coming to the surface.  American Gods is still stuck in my head.

It's not as perfect as The Graveyard Book or Ocean at the Lane; it's also much, much darker and more adult.  There is lots of language and sex.

It's funny, because I think I'd read it before, and remembered snatches of it every so often, faintly, like hearing a radio on two houses away, the music occasionally blown by the wind into your ears.

American GodsAmerican Gods by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This isn't my favorite book by Neil Gaiman, but that doesn't mean it isn't magnificently written.  From the first page, reading it was like diving into a deep, dark pool - and having trouble coming up for air.  The book still haunts me, and it's been a couple of days since I finished it.  It's far more dark, gritty, and sexual than any other Neil Gaiman I'd previous read.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers