Monday, May 12, 2014

Saint Joan by George Bernard Shaw (1924)

There aren't any Eureka moments in Saint Joan, at least none that I can recall. But I enjoyed it immensely.It definitely felt like a modern take on Joan of Arc.  I  listened to a full cast audio production.

I thought it was interesting, which I'm sure is one of Shaw's points, that the same church that burned at the stake hundreds of years later made her a saint.  I wonder, in the future, what we will think of someone our sinners and saints five or six hundred years from now.  I also just finished a book about some heroes (and anti-heroes) of the 20th century - Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt, Charles Lindbergh, Adolf Hitler.  What will become of them in six hundred years? I can't imagine Adolf Hitler will be rehabilitated; I wonder if he will become even more monstrous as legend takes over from history.  Will Churchill and FDR be more or less heroic?

Saint JoanSaint Joan by George Bernard Shaw
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to a full-cast audio production of the play, so I'm not exactly sure if that counts as "reading" it.  There aren't any Eureka moments in the play, but I enjoyed it immensely.  I thought Shaw's Joan was feisty and (mostly) likable, also stubborn and foolhardy, and had a definitely self inflated ego and sense of her own righteousness and rightness.  I thought it was interesting, which I'm sure is one of Shaw's points, that the same church that burned at the stake hundreds of years later made her a saint.  When legend takes over from history, what will the sinners and saints of our time look like in six hundred years?


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers