Monday, May 12, 2014

Those Angry Days: Roosevelt, Lindbergh, and America's Fight Over World War II, 1939-1941 by Lynne Olson (2013)

The more I read about Charles Lindbergh, the more of a dickhead he seems. For someone who claimed to want a quiet life away from the roar of the flashbulbs, he sure courted publicity - and the most poisonous publicity at that.

A solid book, with sparks of interesting interspersed with some dull points.  I don't think I really learned anything new here, but I enjoyed the book  nonetheless.  

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Solid, well-researched, and well-written.  Charles Lindbergh is always asshole-colored, at least in everything I've read about him, and this book doesn't do anything to change that leopard's spots.  His piggish dickheaded-ness is always front and center. The family dynamics between he and his wife's family were quite interesting, and added a personal touch to this story.

It's very easy to romanticize this time period, and Olson succeeds in staying away from a the mythologized caricature of the late 1930s and the Greatest Generation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers