Monday, June 30, 2014

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (2005)

Ishiguro is good, really good.  And I really enjoyed Never Let Me Go.  I liked the narrative voice, how it bounced backwards and forwards in time, like you were sitting down with Kathy and she was telling you the story.  I liked the layered aspect of the plot, how Ishiguro applied layer after layer of detail, and let the horror of the story fill up all the spaces in your head (sort of like the opening soundtrack for Close Encounters of the Third Kind).  But I don't know, I just thought there was all this buildup for nothing.  What exactly was the point?  Once you had the money shot, the "Soylent green is people" moment,  then everything kind of fell off from there.  Sound and fury writing.

Never Let Me GoNever Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I liked the narrative mechanism Ishiguro used to tell the story:  Kathy's voice, subtle, moving backward and forward in time, like she had sat down to tell you the story.  I also though the layering aspect of the novel, spreading detail upon detail to build up the plot, was excellent.  But something fell flat for me by the end; once you had the "soylent green is people" moment, it seemed to fall flat after that, and I came away wondering what it was all about.  "Sound and fury" writing.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers