Friday, July 18, 2014

A Real Prince is Hard to Find: A Modern Fairy Tale by Joanna Rivard ; illustrated by Adam Larkum (2013)

Why do we need this book?  Why?  I'm not really sure British kids need this book, let alone Americans.  What exactly is the point of it?  It's really, really, really boring.  Boring, boring, boring.  I like Kate and Wills as much as anyone, but come one.  Their life isn't interesting enough (yet) to warrant even a picture book.  They've done nothing of interest.  They are just two good looking, really rich twentysomethings.  This is not the worst picture book on earth.  That would be: Sheetzucacapoopoo: My Kind of Dog by a celebrity.  Actually, I shouldn't say Sheetzucacapoopoo: My Kind of Dog is the worst picture book on earth, because I never actually read it. I refused to.  It just has the worst title of a picture book ever on earth, and the worst reason for being a picture book ever on earth.  But this is a picture book I have read, and wasted some time on, which I can never get back, so it certainly is going into the bin marked "worst picture books I've ever read, if not worst on the entire earth."


Plus, what the hell does that title even mean?  Is it a play on "a good man is hard to find?"  But why?  It wasn't so hard to find for Kate Middleton, though, was it?  

And so weird - the nipple-less picture of Prince William:







A Real Prince Is Hard to Find: A Modern Fairy TaleA Real Prince Is Hard to Find: A Modern Fairy Tale by Joanna Rivard
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Maybe,just maybe I can understand the appeal of this book to a British audience, but why was it published in the United States?  And the title, ugh.  A real prince wasn't so hard to find for Kate Middleton - she met him when she was 19, and married him ten years later.  That is sort of a long time, and perhaps he was hard to catch or hard to pin down or hard to choose to commit, but he still wasn't hard to find.  This isn't my least favorite picture book of all time (that honor belongs to Sheetzucacapoopoo: My Kind of Dog).  But it's thrown in the same bin.  



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers