Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Frog Went A Courtin' by John Langstaff; pictures by Feodor Rojankovsky (1955)

This was the Caldecott winner for 1955.  I don't know what else was published that year except Eloise, which is a book I don't like.  Too pink.  Anyway, Crow Boy by Taro Yashima and Play With Me by Marie Ets were the honor books.  Crow Boy I've never read, but can see vividly in my mind - it's a very distinctive book.  I know the name Marie Ets, but I don't know off the top of my head what she's written.

I really liked Frog Went a Courtin'.  I vaguely know the song - I probably had it on one of the Peter Pan records as a kid.  I really liked the illustrations - very vivid and bright.  Interestingly, John Langstaff was a musician first and a children's author next.

Frog Went a-Courtin'Frog Went a-Courtin' by John Langstaff
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Bright, vivid and fun illustrations.  The last picture is by far the best and most fun.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers