Monday, July 7, 2014

Henry’s Hand by Ross MacDonald (2013)

 It's cute , I guess,  and I did enjoy the 1940s illustrations and sort of macabre, Addams family-lite sense of humor.  It didn't age all that well though; after a few hours of thinking about it, only the illustrations stuck with me; the story was totally 'meh.'  I almost came away with the feeling that MacDonald wanted to draw pictures of Frankenstein and his disembodied hand, and then built a story about it.  Which is dodgy at best when it comes to picture books.

My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Cute, I guess, and very Addams family-lite.  But all that sticks out are the illustrations (1940s Superman style).  The story is mostly flat, and then sort of obnoxiously cloying.


1 comment:

  1. In studying the Lew Archer novels of Ross Macdonald I’ve tried to identify certain characteristics, themes, motifs, images – call them what you like – that crop up frequently throughout the various books. I don’t claim that the following are particularly important or have any special significance or meaning; nor do I say this is a comprehensive list. They are simply some things I’ve noticed in more than one of the novels. Some of these appear in quite a few of the Archers. In time I hope to post the results of reading through each of the books individually while searching for these ‘repeaters’.
    http://postmoderndeconstructionmadhouse.blogspot.com/2014/12/ross-macdonald-characteristics-of.html#.VMMrA9KUc7V

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers