Saturday, July 19, 2014

Paul Thurlby's Wildlife by Paul Thurlby (2013)

A glorified advertise for Thurlby's work.  To quote the back cover:  "His work has appeared in advertising, on cards and t-shirts and in national newspapers in the U.K."  And that's exactly what the illustrations felt like - a catalog of posters or t-shirts, with informational bits about animals thrown in to make it a book.  This is all style and no substance.

I like the pictures though - I'd definitely buy one of his cards or have some of these pics on a t-shirt.  But overall, as a book, I'm underwhelmed.

Paul Thurlby's WildlifePaul Thurlby's Wildlife by Paul Thurlby
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

A cliche will do - all style but no substance.  I'd buy a greeting card from Mr. Thurlby in a heartbeat, or wear a t-shirt with one of these pages emblazoned on the front.  But this is essentially a catalog for his works, with some information about animals thrown in to make it seem like a book.  The illustrations are clever and cute and funny.  But as a book, it's the essence of blah-dom.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers