Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Bear's Song by Benjamin Chaud (2013)

Great illustrations - but sort of a so-so storyline.  Apparently, the bears appear in other book on similar types of adventures, only those are all in French.  These adventures, macap chases of Papa Bear after Baby Bear through different scapes (cityscape, landscape) allows Chaud to draw these busy, Cars and Trucks and Things That Go or Where's Waldo types of illustrations.  Lots of action, many small details, on each page.  I liked those kinds of books as a kid, and I imagine if I were 9 years old I'd be in love with The Bear's Song.  As a grownup, I'd like a little more story.  Still, it's cute.  And I love bears.

The Bear's SongThe Bear's Song by Benjamin Chaud
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The illustrations live on the same block as Cars and Trucks and Things That Go or Where's Waldo? - great spreads of intricate details with lots going on.  You could pore over the pictures for hours and still find new things.  Short on story (essentially, a madcap chase that ends with an "awwww"), but still perfectly good and fun.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers