Thursday, September 25, 2014

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (1859)

It was like Charles Dickens was hitting me over the head with a book-shaped hammer, again and again and again, trying to pound something into my brain, only I'm not exactly sure what.  I immensely liked both Oliver Twist and Great Expectations but A Tale of Two Cities fell completely flat for me.  The characters were wooden, half the time I didn't even know what the hell was going on.  Like all villainesses, Madam Defarge was probably the most interesting character, and she hardly ever even appears in the book.  This was the best of books and the worst of books, indeed.

A Tale of Two CitiesA Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

It is a far, far better book that I go to, because I thought  A Tale of Two Cities was... I'm going to be nice.  A book that only recently celebrated a sesquicentennial and has been in print for 150+ years can't be all bad; clearly someone likes it.  Having enjoyed Oliver Twist and Great Expectations, I was looking forward to this, and I was disappointed.  Really, it was like Charles Dickens was hitting me over the head with a book shaped hammer, again and again and again, trying to pound something into my brain, but I never was exactly sure what it was.  Madame DeFarge is the most interesting character in the book (like all villainesses), and she hardly appears at all.  The best of times and the worst of times, indeed.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers