Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Invisibles: Vintage Portraits of Love and Pride by Sebastien Lifshitz (2013)


There are too many great photos in here to cut and paste in my blog.  But I've included a few of my favorites. 

Displaying IMG_2326.JPG
I think I was at this party.  In spirit for sure.

I wanna be at this party.





















I love her so much.  Who is she?
Who are any of these people?

I want to crawl up into the pictures and find out what's going on, befriend these people, ask them questions, share a drink with them, a cry with them, and especially a laugh with them.  I really loved this book. 



Displaying IMG_2327.JPG
She is at every party I've been to in
the last ten years.



I think what I particularly loved about this book was the joy in being gay or lesbian, or just bending gender.  We think of these queers of the past as many things - brave perhaps, courageous.  Or dark and gloomy.  Suicidal.  But damn, those queens and kings from the past knew how to have fun.  I wonder - were they more ebullient than us today?  Their lives seem so much more difficult, but were they really?


The Invisibles: Vintage Portraits of Love and Pride. Gay Couples in the Early Twentieth CenturyThe Invisibles: Vintage Portraits of Love and Pride. Gay Couples in the Early Twentieth Century by Sebastien Lifshitz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I thought this book was quite amazing and beautiful, vintage photographs of gays and lesbians and various gender benders from the past, culled from antique stores and flea markets.  Sometimes, modern GLBTQ folk think the past was a dungeon of repression and suicidal sadness; and for some it probably was.  But these pictures - which, mind you, had to be sent away to be developed, thus publically exposing the relationships depicted in the pictures - prove that the queer past also contained rollicking good fun.  Almost every picture made me want to crawl up into them and find out what's going on, befriend these people, ask them questions, share a drink with them, a cry with them, and especially a laugh with them.  I really loved this book. 



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers