Monday, October 27, 2014

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

How did I ever miss reading this growing up?  At some point, in high school, I think my senior year, I picked up Gone With the Wind  and missed To Kill a Mockingbird.  That seems almost like a crime against, I don't know - a crime against literature, a crime against personal growth through literature.  I missed reading Catcher in the Rye, and I missed To Kill a Mockingbird.  I finished it Saturday, and bawled and bawled like a baby calf, big old tear drops running down my cheeks.  

I can't imagine writing anything original about this.  So just, it was beautifully written, the plot was amazing, and the end, oh the end, was wonderful.  Moving, poignant, funny.  Sad.  Happy.  Exquisite.  
I thought this line was particularly beautiful, and stuck in my head:  "Ladies bathed before noon, after their three-o’clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum.”

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
A big, fat, tear soaked YES to this magnificent piece of literature.  This wasn't required reading in my junior high or high school, so I missed reading it in my formative years. I was enchanted as an adult, which makes me wonder how I would have reacted as a fourteen or seventeen year old.  I can't add anything of worth to the discussion of this book; I would imagine that there are enough term papers written about the novel to stretch to the moon and back, and probably too many comments on the web and blog after blog.  I bawled like a baby calf at the end; I cried so much my eyes hurt.  That's a damngood book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers