Monday, December 1, 2014

An Episode of Sparrows by Rumer Godden (1955)

It's been blah reading the past few weeks, with nothing jumping out to grab me.  I don't even know why An Episode of Sparrows was on my list.  But it epitomizes the last few weeks, literature-wise.  Let me state first that I didn't finish this book. I think if I'd continued reading, it would have been the reading equivalent of this:

 When I was a kid, both my Grandmas used to have Reader's Digest condensed books hanging around, and when I was staying with them and out of something to read, I'd dive into them.  Sometimes I read something good (Pearl S. Buck's autobiography was a favorite).  Most of the time they were treacly stores, gooey overly sweet concoctions.  Perhaps a bit like divinity - icky sweet, but something nutty inside (sorry to all you divinity lovers out there).  That's An Episode of Sparrows.

An Episode of SparrowsAn Episode of Sparrows by Rumer Godden


I'm so sorry if this was your favorite book of all time.  It's not going to be mine. It's not going to be my least favorite book of all time.  But it's not going to be my favorite either.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers