Thursday, January 8, 2015
Auntie Lee's Delights by Ovidia Yu (2013)
Cozy mysteries for me have a Miss Marple sweet spot, and there aren't very many that reach the special A Murder is Announced place, Auntie Lee's Delight's has lots of promise, but it didn't quite reach the pinnacle of Marple-dom. Which is interesting, because Olivia Yu (in an interview at the back of the book) lists Agatha Christie as her number one influence. She needs to do a deeper study of Dame Agatha. The plot was uneven; there was too much initial exposition without enough action. I also thought it was a cop out to use international characters rather than locals; I wanted more of a sense of Singapore, and Yu didn't quite reach that.
Posted by Shawn
- ► 2017 (66)
- ► 2016 (133)
- Elegy for Kosovo by Ismail Kadre; translated by Pe...
- A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood (1964)
- The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough (1977)
- Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Ag...
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis...
- Auntie Lee's Delights by Ovidia Yu (2013)
- The Best of Connie Willis: Award Winning Stories ...
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (2014)
- ▼ January (8)
- ► 2014 (141)
- ► 2013 (219)
- ► 2012 (175)
- ► 2011 (166)
- ► 2010 (126)