Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith (2014)

I have a colleague who beyond loves YA literature.  I was a fan of YA lit long ago, but I'm not anymore.  I don't hate all of it, but I find most of it pretentious and sort of oversold.  YA lit believes its own press.  Grasshopper Jungle was recommended by this colleague.  I didn't like it.  I tried, I really tried.  But I was not a fan.  Obviously, someone else is a fan, because it was a Printz Honor.  But I'm not in that select group.  I didn't care for the plot, and I hated the short sentence structure.  Hated it.

Grasshopper JungleGrasshopper Jungle by Andrew  Smith


I dunno, I must have lost my taste for YA lit.  The short sentence structure and glibness of it all annoyed me rather than made me want to read more.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers