Thursday, May 21, 2015

Don't Let Him Know by Sandip Roy (2015)

While I didn't hate this book, I didn't particularly love it either.

It's essentially short stories about one Indian family.  (oh duh, the cover says that; but I just saw it now).  They aren't in chronological order, but Roy doesn't suffer from continuity issues; there weren't daughters suddenly introduced as adults in the third story when in the first story Amit was an only child (what I call The Golden Girls  problem; in that show, the four roommates have a dizzying array of relatives that appear and then subsequently disappear and exist only to move the plot of that particular episode; Rose's blind sister, Blanche's juvenile delinquent grandson; etc.).

The gay father was interesting, although the story about him going to the gay club was depressing.

I hate to say this, but the writing sometimes felt like the tail end of a creative writing class, published.

Don't Let Him KnowDon't Let Him Know by Sandip Roy
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Two stars seems so bad, but really - this was just okay.  I didn't hate it but I also didn't love it (or even particularly like it).  Good enough to finish I guess, but I'm not going to rave.  I hate to say it, but the writing sort of felt like the tail end of a creative writing course.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers