Monday, June 1, 2015

The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters (2014)

I don't think I've ever read a tortured lesbian romance before, and I can't really say I've read one now.  According to my Kindle, I made it about 35% of the way through before my eyes started glazing over and I didn't really care anymore.  Other people clearly like reading long passages full of building longing and unrequited love (although the love was eventually "quited" because that's where I stopped reading; I hope it comes to no surprise from reading my blog, but lesbian sex scenes do nothing for me).  The book was promisingly Forster-esque at the beginning, but I just became so bored with it all.  I really cared so little that I couldn't keep the character's names straight.  The book seemed to old fashioned too - which I assume is on purpose.  I would have much, much rather read about two minor characters - Christina and Stevie - who are living successful (for the time at least) lesbian lives rather than the tortured existence of Frances and Lillian.

I know Lillian kills her husband - which turns adds melodrama to the torture. I know this because I read ahead, hoping the book would get more interesting.  

Meh.


The Paying GuestsThe Paying Guests by Sarah Waters


Other people clearly like reading passages and passages full of building languished yearning.  I'm firmly in the "this book was too damn long" camp. The book was promisingly Forster-esque E.M. Forster at the beginning, but I just became so bored with it all.  I really cared so little that I couldn't keep the character's names straight.

Meh to the nth degree on this one.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers