Monday, July 13, 2015

Little House, Long Shadow: Laura Ingalls Wilder Impact on AmericanCulture by Anita Clair Fellman (2008)

I think I'm getting "Little House"'d out.  Fellman's book started out really interesting, and she's a good writer.  But my interest sort of faded away and I didn't feel like I needed to finish this one.  Interestingly, I must have read this before, as it's on my Goodreads from 2009. I gave it one star back then.  It's better than that, but I won't be starring it this time as I didn't finish it.

I'm simultaneously reading Little Town on the Prairie, and this of all the books, I think, proves Fellman right that Laura Ingalls Wilder and Rose Wilder Lane were libertarians who hated the government. I sort of hate this book; it's the least favorite of the series; I don't particularly like the last two either.  It does have all those memorable scenes with Eliza Jane Wilder and Nellie Olesen, and how they are out to get Laura, which now makes me wonder - how did Eliza Jane feel when Laura married her little brother?

I digress from the book at hand though.  Let's see, I also thought it was too didactic and scholarly; I need more a narrative thread through my nonfiction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers