Monday, August 10, 2015

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (2014)

I completely don't get the prize winning-ness of this book.

I thought it was simplistic.

I hated the pacing and spacing.

It was nonlinear storytelling but no discernible reason.  Although I didn't actually finish the book, so perhaps that was made clear later.

I didn't finish the book because I didn't care about the facile characters or anything that was happening to them. Out of order, of course, because literature, I guess, can't be linear anymore.

Blah blah blah.


All the Light We Cannot SeeAll the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr


I'm alone in my tepid reaction to this book.  I thought it was simplistic at its very worst, with facile characters and an annoyingly nonlinear plot.  I guess if a plot is nonlinear, that's literary.  (a nonlinear plot can be a good thing when used for a discernible purpose; I couldn't see the purpose here).  I hated the pacing and spacing of the short chapters.  I hate that this is a prize winning beloved bestseller and I don't get it.  I feel like a cretin.  Book, you made me feel stupid!  Damn you book.  Damn you.


View all my reviews


2 comments:

  1. Well, I completely agree. I read it months ago and needed a refresher for my book club discussion.
    I don't get how it won a Pulitzer. I thought it was an inch away from pure schmaltz/

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers