Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (2004)

This is my second time trying to read this.  This time, I made it farther.

I first tried to read it right after it came out.  I distinctly remember this young woman I knew at the time - Brianna was her name - saying how good it was and how much I would enjoy it.

I did not.

But it seems to be one of those books that I should like!  I love books that include magic in the "real" world. I love alternate histories, particularly with magic as part of that world. I love Diana Wynne Jones.

I don't hate this book.  I just don't fucking get it.

It took me at least three tries to read The Wind in the Willows.  Third time was a charm; I now think the book is a piece of art.

I don't know if I will give Johnathan Strange... a third shot though; it's too goddamn big.

Jonathan Strange & Mr NorrellJonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke


I dunno.  I just can't get into this book.

It's frustrating, because it has all the elements of books I usually like.

I just can't.

I tried to read The Wind in the Willows at least three times before it finally stuck; I now think it's a genius piece of Edwardian art and I love it.

I'm not sure, thought, I have the patience to give Jonathan Strange a third shot; for one thing, it's so big that I know it will take up a considerable amount of my precious reading time.  And I'm not so sure it's worth it.  For another, someone will have to sell me on it, and my best reading buddy right now feels the same way about this book as I do.  So that's a no go there too.

Oh well.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers