Please, Mr. Panda by Steve Antony
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Most of the time in picture books (and elsewhere), pandas are depicted as gentle, happy and even mystical creatures. Steve Anthony's panda, however, is pictured as a sour-faced, almost Abe Simpson-curmudgeonesque grump. Appearances are deceiving; he's actually a cuddly and nice underneath and offering doughnuts to his friends. His schmuckish friends, who one by one are ruder than a rude awakening on crack. Penguin, Skunk, a mean girl Ostrich, an bully of an Orca - they all can't seem to say please or be nice. A lemur (or something - I don't know what the hell creature that was, but I'm going to call it a lemur), is finally polite, and gets the whole goddamn box! The moral of this story is - don't be an asshole. If Aesop were alive today, he'd give it his stamp of approval.
View all my reviews
- ► 2017 (69)
- ► 2016 (133)
- Tin Star by Cecil Castellucci (2014)
- Angel by Elizabeth Taylor (1957)
- Dodsworth in Tokyo by Tim Egan (2013)
- The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (1971)...
- The Plantagenets by Dan Jones (2012)
- The Fabulous Riverboat by Philip Jose Farmer (1971...
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (2014...
- The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk by Thornton W. Burge...
- The Three Little Pigs by James Marshall (1989)
- Snow Joke by Bruce Degen (2014)
- Monkey & Robot by Peter Catalanotto (2013)
- Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (2...
- The Bike Lesson by Stan and Jan Berenstain (1964)
- Urgency Emergency! Big Bad Wolf by Dosh Archer (2...
- Please Mr. Panda by Steve Antony (2014)
- ▼ August (15)
- ► 2014 (141)
- ► 2013 (219)
- ► 2012 (175)
- ► 2011 (166)
- ► 2010 (126)