Saturday, August 29, 2015

Tin Star by Cecil Castellucci (2014)

Whatever happened to H.M. Hoover?  I discovered her works late in life but loved it.  Her science fiction is sharp and interesting.  There was always something under girding her story; she didn't write space operas.

Cecil Castellucci's Tin Star isn't like Hoover's. I only bring up Hoover because no one is writing really good, interesting science fiction for kids anymore, unless its dystopian, and that is getting old. Castellucci at least is fixing that.  Her Tin Star is really wonderful.  It's a space opera, but really is Casablanca set in space.  I was so afraid it was going to have the very tiresome love triangle found in so much teen literature now, and it was headed down that despicable path - and then Castellucci slapped us in the face with something completely different.  Several things in fact.  Several things that made this book wonderfully exciting, in my opinion.

It's nice to have something in the science fiction genre to read again.  It had been a long time.

Tin Star (Tin Star, #1)Tin Star by Cecil Castellucci
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm going to give this five stars simply because it's science fiction for kids. Nominally - adult lovers of the genre would probably dig this as well.  It's sharp, interesting, has terrifically drawn characters and rollicking and twisting plot.  It's space opera at it's very, very best.  I was so afraid that, like many teen series now, there would be a Hunger Games-esque love triangle that would drip and melt all over the plot and characters like some sort of candle of doom.  And it seemed to be headed that way... but (I won't give away anything, I promise, other than...) Castellucci slapped us so hard in the face with something wonderfully different from that same old tired trick that I feel head over heels in love with this book.  It's a shooting star in a field of dreary teen novels.  I can't love this enough - I didn't want it to end!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers