Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Stone in the Sky by Cecil Castellucci (2015)

I didn't enjoy the sequel quite as well as the first book, but it was still  really good and engaging.  It reminded me of a really, really good episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, which by my standards of science fiction is a wonderful thing.  I get tired of first person Young Adult (why always, always from a teenagers point of view, alone in the world; it's annoying) and I also couldn't quite figure out Tula Bane's age in this book (she's supposed to be a teenager, and she occasionally acts like one, but I think that's a publishing thing; I feel that she would have acted far more adult in a book written for adults; more sex maybe).  Still, those are quibbles - the two books are great together, and I highly enjoyed them.  Bring on more strong science fiction!  We need the inspiration to dream again; all of these dystopias are depressing.

Stone in the Sky (Tin Star, #2)Stone in the Sky by Cecil Castellucci
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not quite as strong as Tin Star, but still very, very good.  Tula Bane is a magnetic character, and her point of view is anything but dull.  This, like  Tin Star, has to stray into teen-love-triangle-dom (modern teen books apparently have to have a love triangle, and have a first person narrator), but Castellucci again barely (deftly) squirms out of that bear trap; the plot and characters stub out the love triangle bullshit and leave it dying at the end (i.e. it's not the main point).  The plot zigs and zags a bit, but overall, this reminded me a really good mid-season episode of  Star Trek: The Next Generation, and that's high praise from me.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers