Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes (1951)

I re-read this recently; I've written about it in this blog several years ago, and I don't really have anything new to add, other than I still think it's a warm and wonderful book; Eleanor Estes always has a touch of wry to her narrative, descriptions, and characters as well, which may be why I like it so much.

Ginger Pye (The Pyes, #1)Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Pyes are one of my favorite families in children's literature.  I'm sorry Estes didn't write more than the two books about them (Pinky Pye is still my favorite); but maybe I'm also glad, because quality can wain when an author goes to the well too many times.  This is definitely not a book for everyone; I would imagine some children would find this one a bit tough going.  But it's warm and wonderful story, a deserved award winner.  Eleanor Estes also has a touch of wry in her narrative, dialogue, and characters that I find to be quite humorous as well.  My one request:  may the Pyes most definitely not ever make the transition to film.  I want them to stay in 1950s book form forever.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers