Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (2014)

This is one of those books I like - not loved - but don't have a whole lot of interesting things to say about.  It was written in a creative and interesting way, with famous (at least I assume they are famous; I had heard of all the writers at least) short stories used as a sort of lodestar for each chapter.  It's a bit unbelievable, in a fantastical and fun sort of way (it didn't annoy me in the least), and  - warning - turns into a big, soppy tear jerker by the end (weeping aloud, I'm glad I was alone).

The Storied Life of A.J. FikryThe Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Any book that can make me weep aloud soppily and snortily in the comfort of my own little corner is at least four-star read, any which way regardless. Zevin's book is creative and interesting, using short stories as a lodestar for each chapter (which are short stories themselves). It's not a particularly deep or eloquent book, but it is quite poignant and moving; and satisfying. A hearty snack rather than a full meal, but enjoyable.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers