Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Coronation Summer by Angela Thirkell (1937)

High hopes, dashed on the rocks of my literary fastidiousness and capriciousness.  I really wanted to enjoy this book, but the plot was plodding.  There were some definite bright spots - I loved Fanny's bitchy asides about her friend Emily.  I also was reminded of one of my favorite books, Sorcery and Cecilia, the epistolary novel by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer, only then  I kept wanting it to be more like that book, and it wasn't.  If anything good comes out of Coronation Summer, it is to make me re-read my beloved Sorcery and Cecilia.


Coronation SummerCoronation Summer by Angela Thirkell
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

High hopes, dashed on the rocks of my literary fastidiousness and capriciousness. I really wanted to be enthralled by this book, and instead was bored by the plodding plot and occasional ornate and over flowery choice of words. I guess I was hoping for a more lighthearted book. There were some bright spots that flared up every so often; I liked Fanny's bitchy asides about her friend Emily. There needed to be more of that. The whole book reminded me a bit of Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot, an old favorite of mine; but not enough to make me like this book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers