Thursday, January 28, 2016

Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and The Importance of Imagination by J.K. Rowling (2008)

I do love J.K. Rowling more and more; this is a published book of her Harvard commencement address from 2008.



I originally looked up the commencement speech because I found and liked this quote by itself, and wanted to know where it came from, and if it had been taken out of context.

“We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better.”

It had not been taken out of context, and I still think it's beautiful.  In fact, I have it hanging on the wall outside my office now!

The commencement speech is quite wonderful; Rowling is an inspirational figure.  

I love that she named Death Eaters after her friends; I think that's hilarious.

I also liked this truism:  "There is an expiry date for blaming your parents for steering you in the wrong direction. The moment you are old enough to take the wheel, responsibility lies with you." 

Quite a wonderful speech, and I'm glad it's been made into a neat little book.


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I just love J.K. Rowling. She's great. The more she opens her mouth, the more words flow from her pen, the more she tweets, the more I like her. This book is a published speech she gave at Harvard's 2008 Commencement. It has some inspirational and moving quotes, the kind of quotes you make memes out of and then bother your friends with on Facebook, or turn into a 8.5 x 11 poster printed from your own printer that you hang up at work (guilty as charged). The illustrations in this book are not great. Quite frankly, they are stupid and look cheap. But the words overpower the stupid, cheap illustrations. This well worth the 15 minutes it will take to read it - go forth and find it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers