Friday, February 19, 2016

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2013)

I couldn't quite figure this book out; it's my book club book this month, and while I enjoyed reading it, some of it bugged me.  I'm a middle-aged, gay white progressive-leaning male, and some of this book was aimed at squarely at me, which made me restless and uncomfortable. Adichie occasionally used a sledge hammer to get some of her POV across, and at other times, particularly towards end, the book felt preachy (I'm particularly thinking about the dinner party scene, but there were some others).

At one point, one character tells the main character she acts self righteous, and I thought that was sort of what the book sounded like, and then I thought, is something meta going on, where Adichie is self aware and is giving the main character her own characteristics, all the while aware? 

I hated the ending so much though.  That makes me not like the book.  

AmericanahAmericanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm not sure about this book at all. I liked some of it immensely; other parts left me indifferent. Some of the book was preachy, but other parts interesting. A real mixed bag of a book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers