Wednesday, May 11, 2016

"To a Skylark" by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1820)

I chose to read this one because I love meadowlarks, particularly their songs.   One of my favorite pieces of orchestral music is Ralph Vaughan Williams's A Lark Ascending as well.  I listened to an audio version of the poem by the wonderfully named Algy Pug, who has a very poetic reading voice (who ARE you Algy Pug?).   You can listen to Algy Pug read this poem here.  I also listened to the song of a real skylark, and while I think meadowlark's have a prettier song, the skylark's song is still really, really lovely.  Particularly, I imagine, because the skylark does its singing as it flies above, in the sky - that's much referenced in the poem.  That must be quite something to behold, walking in a field, and hearing this song from above, like an "blithe spirit."

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers