Thursday, June 30, 2016

Blithe Spirit by Noel Coward (1941)

This was a frothy delight - that perfect kind of dry wit.  I found it interesting that it seemed to have premiered in the midst of the Blitz.

This play is never going to change anyone's life. But it is the definition of fun, unless you are a stick in the mud lacking any sort of funny bone.

I know next to nothing about Noel Coward, other than he's a sophisticate who appears with frequency in books, particular novels, I've read about the 1930s (he's been in Her Royal Spyness more than once).  I know he was gay, and I also know he had probably had a romance with Prince George of Kent.

I'd love to see this performed live, but at the moment, the LA Theater Works production I checked out from the library will have to do.

Blithe Spirit Blithe Spirit by Noël Coward
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I listened to an LA Theater Works production of this, checked out via streaming from a local library. All the martinis are dry as bones - just like the wit. Sophisticated frothyness at its very, very best.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers