Friday, August 26, 2016

Design for Dying by Renee Patrick (2016)

Design for Dying (Lillian Frost & Edith Head, #1)Design for Dying by Renee Patrick
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A pretty good first book in a series. It drags a bit in the beginning - origin story, origin story, origin story, which is necessary (I guess) but can be dull if you are a lover of solving mysteries and outsmarting authors and their detectives. MGM was billed as having "more stars than there are in heaven" and that's the moxie of this book. While it had a large cast of fictional characters that were occasionally hard to keep track of, it also had a top billing of whose who of 1930s Hollywood, starting of course with Edith Head. Barbara Stanwyk and Bob Hope are major minor characters with an important part to play. About mid-way through, I really started to become engrossed by the "whodunnit." I think I like the murderer and ending I came up with in my head better than Renee Patrick's actual one, but hey - I didn't write the book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers