Monday, October 24, 2016

Sherri Tepper (1929-2016)

Sherri Tepper has died.  She wrote several books I dearly loved, which I read many years ago, most of them while in my 20s.   If those same books aren't so laser sharp in my memory now, a bit fuzzier after 15 or 20 years, I still would consider myself a fan.  Grass is still a book I think is perfectly written; The Family Tree still has the best plot twist ever.

Here is something profound she said, taken from this obituary.

“What do I have to say to the universe? A soul ought to have something to say to the universe if it’s going to be immortal. But the world has something to say to the universe, all of these systems have things to say to the universe, and we’re part of that. You go in the ground, and the grass grows over your bones, and that’s good too! I take a lot more comfort out of that than I would out of some notion of the feathery form rising up, strumming a harp. Harp music can get dreadfully dull!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers