Friday, October 21, 2016

"When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer" by Walt Whitman (1863)


Before blogging, I kept poems and scraps of passages and quotes written or pasted in various notebooks.  I like to go back through those notebooks every so often, to see what I can see.  Some time in the last 25 years, I thought this Walt Whitman poem was important enough to save.

I've always been like this, this feeling that magic and spirituality need to exist above and beyond science.  Wordsworth's "The World Is Too Much With Us" has this same sort of feeling, and that's one of my favorite poems (I've been quoting that and thinking of it often as of late, what wit the world being what it is).

Looking up in perfect silence at the stars is a fine activity.  Although to be honest, listening to someone quite intelligent speak well on a subject of interesting, including the stars, is just as interesting to me.  So I am only Whitman-esque up to a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers