Wednesday, December 14, 2016

A Man of Some Repute by Elizabeth Edmondson (2015)

This may be the best book I read all year.   A terrific, old fashioned murder mystery.  The entire book is "Christie"an to its cozy little core.  1950s English village life, aristocracy, servants, class and money, an actress, some espionage thrown in.  I can't recommend this enough - it's a perfect way to end a year of reading.

Elizabeth Edmondson died this year - so there will be no more books from her!  That makes me quite sad.

A Man of Some ReputeA Man of Some Repute by Elizabeth Edmondson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This may be the best book I've read all year. It's a terrific, old fashioned murder mystery, and completely Dame Agatha Christian to its cozy little core: 1950s English village, aristocrats, servants, an actress, a ne'er do well boozy society daughter, some humor, some espionage. I mean this as the best of flattery to this book: it was like Edmondson took stock Christie characters and sprinkled them throughout the book like raisins in a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread. Every time I bit into this book, it was delicious. The only things missing were cameos by Christie detectives (Miss Marple at the tea shop). The whodunnit at the end wasn't all that great: but Agatha Christie's whodunnits weren't always that great either (they can't all be Murder on the Orient Express). It's the journey there that was tons of fun.

Here's something sad: Elizabeth Edmundson died last January, so this series will be no more.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers